Managed Services - User / Device Security
Process and tools that educate, protect, and equip users and their devices against modern IT security threats.
Cybercrime is an ever-present threat facing organizations of all sizes. In order to safeguard themselves against a successful data breach, you must stay a step ahead of cybercriminals by defending against a barrage of increasingly-sophisticated attacks at high volumes. What complicates this challenge further is that the strategies and attack vectors that cybercriminals rely on are always evolving. It’s the classic problem of security teams having to cover every contingency, while cybercriminals only need to slip past defenses once. Because of this, IT teams must continuously update their defenses based on current threat trends.
EmPower’s “Managed Services” program addresses these threats through a layered approach to IT security focused on people, process and technology. Through careful configuration, consistently implemented policies, user education, and a "best of breed" suite of tools we create an integrated framework, an overlapping strategy, to yield the most effective defenses.
When we think of security risks, often the first thing that pops into our head are the threats we face from hackers. However, based on a recent industry survey, the reality is that the most significant threats to your data security aren’t from hackers, but your own people. Most breaches can be traced back to a negligent or careless employee who is uneducated on security best practices or who unintentionally ignores security policies. They innocently open malicous emails, visit compromised websites, and follow poor password management practices. Or maybe, they connect personal devices to the network, access unapproved cloud applications, or utilize multiple insecure mobile devices.
EmPower's Managed Services program helps you establish user-level security policies and train your users on best practices. For security reasons, we don’t advertise our specific tools to the public, but here is an idea of what’s included:
- Security Awareness Training - Easy-to-understand, short and visually engaging training videos that educate and raise awareness about IT security best practices and common threats and how to avoid falling for scams and social engineering attacks. Videos include an online quiz to verify the employee’s retention of the training content. In addition, EpiOn "injects" phishing campaigns into your employee's e-mail stream to test for comprehension and compliance with policies. If your users click on one of these test campaigns, it is logged and they are immediately routed to re-training to reenforce prior learning.
- Password Management App - A browser-based tool that centralizes and secures users' corporate and personal passwords. Generates strong and unique passwords and supports 1-click login to saved websites. Also supports "shared" passwords known by a group of your users with the ability to reset those passwords when they are known by departing employees.
- DarkWeb Monitoring - Monitors the Dark Web for indications that your organization's credentials or data have been solen and are being bought and sold on the open market. Allows us to work with your users to change compromised credentials and assess potential impacts.
- Web Content Filtering - A cloud-based tool that allows you to control Internet useage based upon user, device or network. Establish policies about the types of content or sites that users can access with on-demand reports about utilization. Usrs are automatically blocked from dangerous content and questionable sites.
It is imperative that your PC's and servers are "hardened" against an ever-expanding number of "threat vectors". Correctly configured, managed, and maintained devices are essential to protecting your organization’s assets and are a compliance requirement for regulations including PCI DSS, GLBA, HIPAA, and SOX. EmPower includes centralized management of some traditional (and not so traditional) tools to help protect your devices. Again, for security reasons, we don't advertise the specific tools, but here is an idea of what is included:
- Endpoint Protection - Cloud-based protection that acts like a small firewall on each device and is stronger and smarter than traditional antivirus. A multi-vector solution that protects against viruses, ransomware, phishing, malware, and other cyberattacks. When new threats emerge, all end points are protected in real time.
- SPAM Filtering - Secures your #1 attack vector - your email.. Filters out annoying SPAM messages while protecting against new and emerging threats including multiple levels of malware detection. Protects against phishing, viruses and other security threats transmitted via email.
- DNS Filtering - Secures your DNS connection against cyberattacks. DNS stands for "domain name system" and it works like the phone book of the Internet. It was never built with security in mind and is highly vulnerable to threats. Our cloud-based solution monitors your web surfing activity and protects you from sites that may have been compromised or that are impersonating legitimate sites.
When IT Matters
Modern network security requires a layered defense approach that factors in people, processes, and technology. Together, such tactics—including creating a strong culture of security, conducting threat research, prioritizing assets, and deploying modern network controls—will enhance visibility and shorten threat response times, resulting in minimizing the impact of cyberattacks. To learn more about the specific solutions included as a part of the User and Device Security portion of EmPower's Managed Services program, use the form at the right or call us at (931) 526-3742.